Friday, May 7, 2010

dreams

I have had several times where I have had a dream or feeling of foreboding. The one i remember the most clearly happened last summer. During last summer I was backpacking with my dad brother and some other people we know from inside Canada to Stevens pass in Washington. It was the 8Th or 9Th day that we have been hiking and about 160 out of 200 miles and I woke up that morning and after having a quick breakfast i started to filter water out of the most pristine lake i have ever seen. The water was the best tasting i have ever had and after filling my 2 water bottles and after everyone filled theirs there was still one liter of water left that I filtered. I was planning on just dumping it out because i didn't feel like carrying more weight. when i was about to dump the water out i had this strange feeling that i shouldn't so i decided to keep it and i put it in my pack. later that day i was still wondering why i was carrying that extra water. I had only drunk one of my 2 bottles. a short while later we encountered a small creek that was about 6ft across and there were rocks about half way then you had to jump. i Have already encountered much harder obstacles so i thought none the less of it and when i jumped to the other side in midair my last water bottle dislodged from the mess pocket i had it in and it was rushed away down stream. The water was to fast for me to catch it. Luckily i had kept that extra water and i had enough to make it to the next spot that we stayed the night at.


Both Romeo and Mercutio have different ideas about dreams. Romeo thinks they are true and Mercutio does not. It is hard to choose on whose side i side with because part of me believes that you can have dreams or feelings that might not be the exact situation that occurs but could be close. Yet i also think that dreams might just relate to something because before i sleep i am usually thinking about things that are going on in my life so then they might carry over to my dreams so they aren't necessarily telling what is going to happen but just picture a situation that might occur. The motif of dreams has occurred several times so far during the play. One dream that is an important part is Romeo's dream, "And we mean well in in going to this masque, But 'tis no wit to go./ i dreamt a dream tonight." During this dialogue Romeo says bad things will happen by going to the party. And so far during the book bad things have come about because of his going to the party. Such as the death of Mercutio, Tybalt and Romeo's banishment. If Romeo listened to his dream that wouldn't have happened. The dreams are very important motif to the book because they first add to characterization of the characters and they add to the themes of opposite people like Romeo and Mercutio.

2 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you packed that extra water. You may not have survived to become a janitor if you hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very similar to what I thought. I believe that Romeo did know what he was talking about when he gave his dream dialogue

    ReplyDelete